Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tuesday Waffle Night

The first official Tuesday Waffle Night was last night at 9629. It must be a Dillard thing, because everyone in our family LOVES Belgium Waffles. A few years ago my Dad stumbled across a fancy Belgium Waffle Iron at Sam’s Club now everyone Dillard household has one! My sister and I use our quite regularly (easy, cheap and delicious just like us); typically we use Krusteez instant dry mix. I figured we (I mean “I”) should step it up and make it from scratch. I love making things from scratch instead of a box; I know exactly what I’m putting in instead of thinking about all the preservatives that are put into the mix. Also, I can use wheat flour to make them healthier, along with skim milk, Stevia (or any other artificial sweetener) and 3 eggs whites. I’ve also heard that you can substitute vegetable oil for the same amount applesauce.

Ingredients:
• 2 eggs (3 egg whites)
• 2 cups all-purpose flour (wheat flour)
• 1 ¾ cup milk (skim milk)
• ½ cup vegetable oil (applesauce, or I might just use water)
• 1 tbsp. sugar (artificial sweetener)
• 4 tsp. baking powder
• ¼ tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. vanilla extract
• Cinnamon to taste (optional)

Directions:
1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Whisk wet ingredients until mixture is slightly beaten.
3. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until smooth. (no lumps)
4. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. (this is a must!)
5. Add batter to the iron until completely covered with a light spread of batter. (My waffle iron came with a measuring cup, but I always end up adding a little more to make a perfect waffle)

Toppings:
• Any berry
• Bananas
• Maple syrup
• Powdered sugar
• Butter
• Whip cream
• Yogurt
• Or any combination

Sometimes I also like to make fruity crepes instead of waffles.
Ingredients:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup milk
• ½ water
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 2 tbsp. butter, melted
• Cinnamon to taste (optional)

Directions:
1. Whisk together flour and eggs.
2. Gradually add in the milk and water. Stir to combine.
3. Add salt and butter; beat until smooth
4. In a lightly oiled (or well-coated in non-stick spray) fry pan on medium heat pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan.
5. Tilt the pan in a circular motion until batter completely covers the bottom circle of the pan.
6. Cook for approximately two minutes or until lightly golden brown.
7. Loosen the crepe with a spatula; flip and cook the other side until lightly golden brown. Serve hot with above toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment