Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pomegranate Salad

My family loves when my Mom makes her family's favorite Pomegranate Salad recipe.  Now our family seems to be divided on a few additions to the salad...the old people like to add walnuts and raisins (yuck), the kids like it without walnuts and raisins (I've trained my Mom to keep out and on the side) and my Dad loves it with CoolWhip instead of the heavy whipping cream.  I fall in the no walnuts and no raisins with CoolWhip group! 
For the salad you will need (for a serving of about four):
  • 2 cups of pomegranate seed (Costco sells them already separated)
  • 2 cups of chopped red apples
  • 1 cup of canned pineapple chunks, drained
  • about 2 sliced bananas
  • walnuts to taste (optional)
  • raisins to taste (optional)
For the heavy whipping cream topping:
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice
Add all the chopped fruit into a large bowl.  In a separate bowl mix heavy whipping cream until almost stiff.  Add sugar and pineapple juice until cream holds peaks.  fold into fruit mixture a little at a time until it is completely covered, top with bananas, walnuts and/or raisins. 
If you like a lighter salad, try folding Light CoolWhip to the fruit mixture instead.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I like it with the heavy cream - I'm that kind of a girl. And I think you are seriously missing out by not putting the walnuts in - they make it so good. But I'll say no thank you to the raisins!

    ReplyDelete