Thursday, September 16, 2010

Haunting Halloween Decorations

Halloween is coming! EEK!! I love Halloween time.  I love when fall/autumn pumpkins turn into glowing jack-o-lanterns.  Recently I hosted a Halloween decorations/ crafting party with a few of my closest girlfriends.  I had so much fun.  The items we made were things I either found online or decided to do myself. 

The main attraction was the beadboard pumpkins.  I love beadboard, I would put it everywhere in my house if I could.  I searched and searched for a tutorial on these pretty pumpkins, but sadly never came across one.  Mainly I wanted to know the sizes of the pumpkins and the tools used to cut the beadboard.  With no such luck I tested my crafting ability by enlarging a few different shapes of pumpkins online  (**note: I don’t know how to upload the pumpkin patterns I used, but if you would like to see them, I would be happy to email them to anyone interested- amandamdillard@gmail.com**)

So here goes the beadboard pumpkin tutorial…
Supplies:
·      Beadboard (I actually bought hard board paneling $19.27 at Home Depot two panels cut into two)
·      Acrylic Paint (Wal-mart: Pumpkin Orange, Vintage White and Burnt Umber)
·      Paint brushed (craft brushes and I also bought dot brushes)
·      Burlap for the leaf
·      Rafia –sp?
·      Scissors
·      Rotozip
·      Table sander
·      Safety glasses
·      Hot glue gun
Step one:
Trace your pumpkins on the finished size of the beadboard. 


Step two:
Cut your pumpkins out using a Rotozip- totally awesome I borrowed it from my neighbor! Don’t forget to wear your safety glasses! If your bits become dull, slide the circular piece around the bit down to use a new spot on the bit.  If the bits break off (and they will) replace them! And don’t worry if your link are jagged, a sander will fix that in a jiffy!

Step three:
Sand your pumpkins edges. 

Step three:
Paint your pumpkins.  I chose to do my pumpkins a little more rustic and old looking so I used orange and a cream-ish white color.  Let dry completely. 

Step four:
To give your pumpkins an antique or old look to them, I watered down the burnt umber paint and randomly brushed the paint on with light, fast strokes.  I them let the paint dry for just a few minutes. 

Step five:
I used a damp paper towel to wipe off unwanted burn umber until I got the look I wanted.  Let dry.  (if desired I stamped one of my pumpkins with polk-a-dots after the burnt umber dried.  Look so cute!!) Simple or designed, these pumpkins are so cute. 

Step six:
Embellish away! I tied raffia-sp? (too lazy to look the proper spelling up) to the top and hot glued a burlap leaf to the top.  You can find and leaf pattern to trace.  Or free hand!- I’m not that gifted. 

Final product:

Ok the next craft we did was the Candy Wreaths with the Furry Spooky Spiders hanging in the center. 


Totally fin right? L.O.V.E. it!

I actually got the idea from a few blogs so I will link them below so you can see their tutorials…. Gotta give credit where credit is due!

I did however make a few changes…
·      I bought the wreaths from Dollar Tree (you know the natural wood looking ones) can’t beat that price! And I spray-painted them black.  Wal-mart sells flat black spray paint for under a buck! Can you say….AWESOME! I also just read on another blog that Home Depot does too J !
Click here 

Furry Spooky Spiders!

Click here


Lastly I did not make these at the craft night, but I started making them just a few minutes ago… they already look so cute!

Click here

Enjoy!

Love,
Amanda






2 comments:

  1. 1. i saw your post in facebook.
    2. why was i NOT invited to this craft night?
    3. please invite me next time. i want to be crafty with you because you are the cutest...and i need your inspiration
    4. i feel like i dont even know you anymore since ive..scratch that...WE'VE graduated....POOOPPPPPPPPPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marx come over anytime for craft night! I'll let you know when the next one is. I get all my crafty-ness from all these super cute craft blogs! It's addicting.

    ReplyDelete